Monday, April 11, 2011

Random Thoughts on... Crunch 'n Munch

I am usually a pretty shy person.  But, every once in a while, I will strike up a conversation with some random stranger about something innocuous.  (maybe it’s my insecurity that, where there are 2 people in a room, why ignore them and pretend they’re not there?  What is the saying? ‘A stranger is just a friend you haven’t met yet?’  That could be how Ted Bundy was so good at what he did… suckers like me…)

Wow, this went off the rails faster than usual. (Suddenly the Crunch 'n Munch company posts a comment requesting that I please not mention their product and serial killers in the same sentence.)

So, last Friday, I was in the kitchen getting some hot water for my tea and the vending machine guy was also in the kitchen restocking the vending machine.  He had the big box o’ snacks out and he was refilling the vending machine from the box, selecting random items.  I spotted some Crunch ‘n Munch and suddenly was overtaken by Extrovert Missynation.

“Ohhhh, Crunch ‘n Munch!  Could you put some of that in the vending machine? I love Crunch ‘n Munch.”

Mr. Vending Machine was polite enough to fill up the machine with some Crunch ‘n Munch.

Then, he filled up a WHOLE ENTIRE ROW with Crunch ‘n Munch.
I was so excited.  (I know, it doesn’t take much and I live a rather boring life…  I am also aware of the high percentage of my posts that involve/revolve around food.)

I thanked the guy for indulging my Crunch ‘n Munch cravings.

Later that morning, I was craving a snack.  You know, something that’s a little bit sweet, a little bit salty.  HEY!  There’s Crunch ‘n Munch in the vending machine!  And that’s just popcorn (a whole grain!) with a “little” caramel on it. Plus, peanuts, so there’s protein.  Yay!

Yes, this is how my mind works when I’m hungry…

So, I grabbed my dollar, headed down to the kitchen and hit the ol’ A-9 button for some Crunch ‘n Munch goodness.
For 90 cents.

And then I opened the bag.
90 cents?!!?  For this?????
The bag’s only ½ full!!!!  What the Crunch ‘n Munch!?!!??

So, I paid 90 cents for 1 oz. of Crunch ‘n Munch.  Now, I’m no economist, but I work with a lot of them and I’m pretty sure they would tell me that was a bad deal.  I got hosed.
Curiously, my Crunch ‘n Munch cravings trailed off.  

Until Thursday afternoon.  I glanced at the vending machine (as I filled up for my 3rd or 4th cup of tea that day) and noticed there was a lot of Crunch ‘n Munch left in the vending machine.

Suddenly, I felt, conflicted.  Am I responsible for making sure the Crunch ‘n Munch is eaten so Mr. Vending Machine doesn’t think he made a bad choice indulging my craving?  Should I start a division-wide publicity campaign for the Crunch ‘n Munch?  What the heck is wrong with me and how do I fix this????

I figured I’d give the Crunch ‘n Munch another shot.  Maybe I just got a stingy bag.

90 cents.  A-9. Drop.
Nope. 

Still ½ full.

I tried. I bought 2 things out of the vending machine over the last week (and that’s actually 2 more than I usually get).  I cannot single-handedly consume the entire overpriced Crunch ‘n Munch in the vending machine.

I felt fine about my decision and my actions.

Until the next morning, when I was headed to the kitchen to get some hot water and I heard the rustling of candy wrappers and chip bags.  Mr. Vending Machine was back to refill the vending machine.

So, I did what any self-respecting person would do.  I quickly and quietly dashed back to my office to wait a few minutes until he left.  I didn’t want to have to explain how the Crunch ‘n Munch was still there. I didn’t want to say “90 Cents for one friggin’ ounce? Of popcorn?  Are you crazy????”

Le sigh.  (ok, le cower…)

Next time I want Crunch ‘n Munch, I’ll just go down the block and pick some up from the CVS.  At least then, I’ll get some extrabucks for it…

No comments:

Post a Comment